Music Exchange 2021 (#MEX21) goes live in September and we’re proud and equally honoured to announce our first keynote speaker to our 11th entertainment economy-focused conference, the current chair of Music Australia, Michael Smellie.
As part of this year’s conference, we’re inviting you to participate in a rare opportunity to ask this global music thought leader questions regarding the industry.
- Michael’s career in the music business spans more than 25 years.
- He has worked across five continents as former Global Chief Operations Officer of Sony BMG, Asia Pacific Head for BMG, and Managing Director of Polygram and rooArt in Australia.
- As COO for BMG worldwide, he directed the company through some turbulent years and was an integral part of negotiating and implementing the merger with Sony Music.
- He was appointed COO of Sony BMG in 2004 before leaving in 2005 to return to Australia.
- Until the end of 2008, he was President of Media Development, the Asia Pacific for German media giant Bertelsmann.
- Michael was also a Director at Global Citizen from Feb 2017 to October 2020
- He is an investor, adviser and board member to many start-up creative businesses in Australia and the United States.
- He is currently the Board Chair of the Music Council of Australia